What is a traffic monitoring system?
A traffic monitoring system automatically and continuously monitors vehicles in moving traffic. Sensors that are installed in or near the road are used to record, aggregate, evaluate and visualize a wide variety of parameters from vehicles, infrastructure and the environment.
Depending on the area of application, data visualization can take place at various aggregation levels (from real-time visualizations of all the collected information all the way to specific messages and warnings in the event of safety-relevant deviations and/or violations).
What are traffic monitoring systems used for?
Traffic monitoring systems are used to assist the police and transportation authorities with preventive and regulatory activities to increase road safety.
- Emergency response as part of police duties
- Pursuing misdemeanors and criminal offenses (e.g. overweight vehicles or speeding)
- Monitoring of the traffic flow, for example to prevent traffic jams or detect them early on
Where are traffic monitoring systems used?
- At key intersections
- Before or in infrastructure objects (bridges, tunnels, etc.)
- At truck and commercial vehicle inspection centers
- At rest stops, highway on-ramps, underpasses, etc.