Winterthur, August 2021 – As the outcome of an intensive test phase that also included physical modeling, Kistler now offers a completely redesigned Weigh In Motion (WIM) system for rail applications. Simple and fast to install – with only minimal track closures required, or none at all – the new solution delivers multiple parameters of passing rail vehicles based on integrated calculation of accurate piezoelectric force measurements.
With over a million kilometers of rail track installed throughout the world, monitoring of rail traffic is a challenge that cannot be underestimated. Soaring traffic volumes on roads as well as railways are generating unprecedented demand for automatic systems such as those used to monitor freight trains. Based on decades of experience and success with its WIM solutions for roads, Kistler has now launched the redesigned Rail WIM system 9192B – covering a wide range of possible applications:
- Bridge and infrastructure protection (overload, dynamic impact, wheel defects)
- Fraud and theft protection (car number, presence and weight verification)
- Derailment protection (imbalances, axle distance/parallelism)
- Track and train monitoring (traffic data collection, e.g. speed, braking capacity, spacing)
- Condition of rolling stock (flat spots, bogie twist)