Bridges are sensitive components of the traffic infrastructure, and their lifetimes are limited. Traffic volumes are soaring all over the world, and many bridge structures are in the process of aging – two factors that combine to create a hazardous situation. Weigh In Motion systems from Kistler are the solution of first choice for both bridge monitoring and bridge protection: they supply reliable data about the actual loads on bridges to schedule maintenance accurately or alternatively WIM can detect overloaded vehicles before passing the bridge and restrict access.
Overall, Kistler offers three approaches to protecting bridges
Before a bridge is identified as critical:
- Traffic data collection with Weigh In Motion: traffic loads have a direct impact on bridge lifetimes – so traffic load analysis is an important tool for calculating a bridge's current life expectancy.
- Structural health monitoring: strain gauge sensors, accelerometers and many more technologies from Kistler are optimal solutions for monitoring changes in a bridge's structural behavior – so faults are detected at an early stage.
Once a bridge is identified as being critical:
- Preselection of overloaded/heavy vehicles with Weigh In Motion: identified trucks are advised to a detour route
Benefits of bridge protection with measuring technologies by Kistler:
- Longer bridge lifetimes: overloaded vehicles are prevented from crossing the bridge
- Reduced risk: early detection and continuous monitoring of critical structures
- Deep insights into bridge and pavement behavior: diverse range of technologies to measure existing and planned structures